J. Andrew Meyer
J Andrew Meyer ("Andy") was born in Deland, Florida, in 1970.
He graduated with an International Baccalaureate Degree from St. Petersburg
High School in 1988, and attended the University of Florida, graduating
in 1991 with a degree in Economics
magna cum laude. Andy also attended law school at the University of Florida, receiving
his juris doctorate degree in 1995. While at the University of Florida,
Andy was Senate President and was inducted into both Florida Blue Key
and Phi Beta Kappa.
Andy was first trained as a lawyer by Richard T. Earle, Jr. Andy thereafter
practiced at the Attorney General's Office for the State of Florida
in the Bureau of Criminal Appeals, and as a senior staff attorney for
the Florida Second District Court of Appeal. Andy also served as a law
clerk to the Honorable Chris W. Altenbernd at the Second District Court
of Appeal. Following his stint at the Second DCA, Andy became a partner
at a large Florida defense firm, focusing his practice on appellate matters.
Before helping to build Morgan & Morgan's class action department,
Andy was a partner at James Hoyer in Tampa, Florida, representing consumers
in class action litigation.
In addition to being admitted to practice in the state courts of Florida
and New Jersey, Andy is also admitted to practice in the Northern, Middle,
and Southern Districts of Florida, the District of Colorado and the United
States Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Ninth, Eleventh and D.C.
Circuits. Andy lives in St. Petersburg, FL with his wife, Cathy, and his
children, Alex and Mikayla.
University of Florida, J.D. (Law, 1995)
University of Florida, B.S. (Economics, 1991)
- Senate President
- Florida Blue Key
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Fall 1991 "Most Outstanding Graduate" and inductee to U.F. Hall of Fame
- Former editor of the Corporate Counsel Newsletter, American Bar Association
Section of Litigation, Corporate Counsel Committee (2002 to 2004)
- Past Chair of the Florida Bar Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee "A"
Sixth Judicial Circuit
Published Legal Articles
- Co-author of "Petitions for Extraordinary Relief," Chapter 17,
A Defense Lawyer's Guide to Appellate Practice (DRI) (2004)
- Co-author of "Extraordinary Writs," Florida Civil Practice Before
Trial, Chapter 25, published by the Florida Bar (7th Ed. 2004)
- Co-author of "When It's Your Last Chance: Tips on Obtaining Discretionary
Review," Vol. 27 No. 4, Litigation, 11 (Summer 2001)
Schedule of Admissions
- Florida Bar (1995)
- New Jersey Bar (1996)
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
Notable Cases and Appointments
DeHoyos v. Allstate Insurance Company, Civil Action No. 5:01-1010 (Western District of Texas), Class Counsel.
Healey v. Allianz Life Insurance Company, Civil Action No. 2:05-8908 (Central District of California), Class Counsel.
Hill v. Countrywide, Case No. A-0178441 (Texas 58th District Court, Jefferson County), Class Counsel.
In re Collecto, Inc. Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Litigation, Case No. 14-md-2513-RGS (District Court for the District of Massachusetts),
MDL Action Co-Lead Counsel.
In re Black Farmers Discrimination Litigation, Misc. No. 08-ML-0511-PLF (District Court for the District of Columbia),
Algarin v. Tivoli Community Developers, Inc., Case No. 2008-CA-000193-O (Florida 9th Circuit Court, Orange County),
Lieber v. Bank of America, N.A., Case No. 2012-3622-CI-91S (Florida 6th Circuit Court, Pinellas County),
In Re: Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS "MMS" Marketing and Sales Practices
Litigation, MDL No. 2116 (Eastern District of Louisiana), Plaintiffs' Steering
Paugh v. Walgreen Company, Case No. 1:12-cv-21229-JEM (Southern District of Florida), Co-Lead Counsel.